Oct 20, 2011

assignment one

If there is one thing I have learned as a missionary, it is how to find joy in the simple pleasures of every day and recognize the tender mercies the Lord provides for me.  Sister Turner, my last companion, is one of the many people who have shown me how to do this.  In order to commemorate her mission, she decided to highlight each of her previous areas throughout the Tennessee Nashville mission and celebrate the experiences she had and lessons she learned.  I thought that was a lovely idea, and in honor of her, I think I shall do the same, using exerpts from my old jounal entries.  Here's to my first area as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...

Murray, KY.. July-September, 2010

"I just said goodbye to Utah for 18 months.  The longest I've ever gone without seeing my family, friends, or beautiful mountains is one month.  The scenery in Tennessee is beautiful though.  Almost everything is green and naturally forested, with big red barns and farms almost everywhere we go.  I love the rainstorms.

"First full day on the job!  It has been so busy since we first arrived here in Murray, and I have so much to write about, but no time.  My trainers are Sister Fear and Sister Fluckiger, and we've been so busy that I haven't even had time to unpack my suitcases!  Most of the day is hot, sweaty, exhausting, and headachy, but those moments when we get to sit down with people and share Christ's beautiful gospel make it all worth it.  I love to hear about these people's lives and beliefs, and then share with them the fundamental truths that have come from the restoration of Christ's church.  Everyone here is religious.  There really is a diferent Christian church on every corner.  Something I've realized, however, is how many people are still searching for truth and happiness! I am here to bring it to them.

"Since arriving here I've eaten a squirrel, seen a zebra in a horse pasture, painted a trailer in 110 degree weather, been proposed to by an ex-convict, and sung a solo Mormon hymn in front of an entire Baptist congregation.  I never know what a day in this live will bring, but every day is an adventure.  I am learning how to take the Savior's advice and 'lose [my] life for [his] sake'.. in order to really find my life.  The more I serve these strangers, the less strange they become, and the more I love them.  I find people, situations, and places to laugh about every day.  I have found more joy in reading and teaching the scriptures than I ever have before.  I am also coming to know myself in a better and deeper way.


"Although being a missionary can be very trying and discouraging at times, I know that this experience is good for me.  I know that I have been given things in my life that most people live without: The Book of Mormon and the fulness of Christ's gospel, a family who loves me, friends with high standards, a quality education, good health, and a clean, consistent place to call home.  I know that 'Because I have been given much I too must give' and serving the Lord for eighteen months is the least I can do to make it up to him."

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...