May 13, 2011

a pillar of light

Yesterday Sister Koford and I had the opportunity to teach a woman about the restoration.  We talked to her about the 14 year old boy Joseph Smith who went into a grove of trees to pray.  Joseph had a simple question to ask God, "Which church should I join?" yet he received a marvelous answer.  In his own words he said, "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it rested upon me.  When the light rested upon me I saw two personages whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air.  One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other, Joseph: this is my beloved Son, hear him!"  God the father and his son Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph and called him to be a prophet, to restore the truths that had been lost after the death of Christ and His apostles. 

After we explained the first vision, I told Angelyn that I know this really happened.  I did not see a pillar of light, or have God appear to me, but I prayed just as Joseph did to know the truth.  My answer came more gradually and less obviously than Joseph's did, but to me it was every bit as powerful; because I now know with all my heart that Joseph was a prophet, and that he was called of God to restore Christ's church to the earth.  Angelyn's eyes filled with tears as we continued to talk about the different ways that God answers prayers.  We asked her to pray to know if what we were teaching was true, and as she agreed the spirit grew stronger and stronger.  We each felt God testifying to us in our minds and in our hearts that the things we were discussing were true.

Sometimes God answers our prayers with marvelous visions and manifestations such as Joseph's, but more often they come by the quiet whisperings and promptings of the spirit.  Elder David A. Bednar, one of the current twelve apostles, compares these different types of revelation to a light switch and a sunrise.  Joseph Smith, and Saul in the New Testament, had light switch experiences.  Angelyn and I had sunrise experiences-gradual and subtle but powerful nonetheless.  I know that even though God speaks to each of us in different ways, he truly does answer our prayers if we have enough faith to ask Him.  He loves us so much and wants us to have the truth.  Are you willing to find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...