Apr 17, 2011

a little taste of home (Cafe Rio)

Anyone who has ever lived in Utah or who visits Utah has probably heard of a little restaurant called Cafe Rio. Why has everyone heard of this place? Because it's outstanding. It is my favorite place to eat out, and I don't even like most Mexican food! Sadly, I have been deprived of this deliciousness for the past 10 months. Besides my family, friends, and mountains, it is probably the thing I miss the most about home.

I have racked my brain trying to think of a way to get one of my favorite Cafe Rio salads here in Tennessee. I thought about having someone fly here with a meal to go on their lap on the airplane, or about having one of my sisters pack some ice packs around the salad in a cooler to UPS overnight it, but nothing seems very practical or cost efficient. Thanks to the wonderful Sister Whitaker (a member of our congregation) here in Tennessee, however, my problem was finally solved last Friday!

Sister Whitaker happens to have the recipe to the amazing Cafe Rio pork salad, and she slaved away all day to re-create this perfect meal for us. From the savory pork to the hint of lime rice, pico de gallo, homemade tortillas and creamy tomatillo dressing, she matched each taste to perfection..right from her own beautiful kitchen! It was everything I'd hoped for and more; a little taste of home here in Tennessee!

I am always so thankful for experiences such as this; experiences that make home seem just a little closer. Just like my Cafe Rio salad experience on Friday, I think God often gives us experiences in life that make our Heavenly home seem not very far away. He gives us loving fathers who help us understand our relationship with Him(Heavenly Father), families with whom we can experience some of the love and joy we can feel for eternity, and temples where we can go to feel the peace and safety that Heaven will provide. These experiences give me the motivation to do everything I need to do to return home to my Heavenly Father and my Savior's presence someday, so I can then experience the fulness of this peace, joy, love, and safety.


(I also think there will be a Cafe Rio in Heaven...just sayin)

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! You are such a good writer, and your posts are always uplifting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Cafe Rio. I would die with out it. We seriously eat there like at least once a week. I have tried many recipes claiming to be "The Cafe Rio Pork" none of them are as good as the real thing. You'll have to get her recipe for sure! :) Glad you got a little tast of home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you can tie Cafe Rio into something spiritual...great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Sister Cosper! I love reading your messages and posts, they are very uplifting...keep up the good, hard missionary work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even like Cafe Rio but I sure do like this post. Very good analogy and thought. (I kind of hope for an Outback Steakhouse in heaven!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ability to tie everything into the Gospel. Great message, and I wish I could get on a plane right now to bring you some cafe rio!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...