Apr 5, 2011

confession

I have a slight obsession with waterfalls. As missionaries, we have one day each week that is available to us for preparation and recreation. Lucky for me, there are so many cool places to explore around these parts. So what do I want to do every time this preparation day rolls around? Waterfalls! Each time I visit a new fall, I can't help but stare in wonder as the magnificently powerful rivers force their way through canyons and forests until they cascade over the towering boulders. Sometimes the river from which the fall descends is not even visible, because the water just seeps through the bedrock and emerges directly from the rocky face of the cliffs. No obstacle can stop the mighty waters from pressing forward. The power of it all amazes me.. and causes me to reflect upon my life.

Do I press forward when mighty obstacles stand in my way? Do I continue onward even when the path is not perfectly clear or certain? I like to think I do, but I know I am not always as persistant or determined as the mighty rivers God has created. Obstacles and trials are an unavoidable part of life, but I can't say that they never frustrate me. Sometimes I wish that the path would be more clear and simple. Sometimes I wish life was more easy.

But then I think of the life of the Savior, my perfect example, and the trials he faced every day of his life. His life was not easy, and it will not be easy for any disciple of His either. However, turning to Christ is what offers hope and allows us to continue on each day. As we press foward despite the obstacles in our paths and do our best to follow the Master, I know that God will lead us through those rocky paths to cascade triumphantly over the mountains ahead.

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." -2 Nephi 31:20

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE WATERFALLS TOO! There is no doubt in my mind that the Savior is the way to overcoming any obstacle in this life. His gospel lends great strength to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I messed up on that last posting. What a beautiful thought you have expressed here. Life can and will be challenging. Challenges and obstacles are a necessary part of life. This is how we are tested and tempered to prove our worthiness to return to Father in Heaven. Challenges are for our growth and progression. The prophet Joseph Smith rarely had a time in his life where he was not presented with extreme challenges. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...