Jun 18, 2011

tender mercies

A few years ago Elder Bednar spoke about the "tender mercies of the Lord" mentioned in 1 Nephi 1:20.  Every day there are tender mercies given to us from our Father in Heaven as a reminder that he loves us and is watching over us.  The closer to God we become, the more we recognize these tender mercies. 

I remember the first night I arrived in Tennessee. I had spent two and a half weeks in the M.T.C. and still felt completely unprepared to go out and share the gospel with strangers full-time.  I didn't know much about serving a mission, or about my new home.  I was the only sister at the mission home, therefore I got my own room and queen bed to sleep in that night.  I remember sitting on my bed that night and staring out the window into the backyard.  There were rolling green hills and trees as far as I could see, and it was raining.  Green hills, trees, and rain are three of my favorite things.  In the distance there was lightning; another one of my favorite things.  Heavenly Father knew I needed those green hills and lightning that night, and he provided those tender mercies for me.  I thanked him for those tender mercies.

That was almost a year ago, and every day since then I have recognized tender mercies the Lord has given me.  Here are a few as of late:

 Fireflies (Sister Koford loves them too)

 Gallatin Ward Picnic

 Singing the National Anthem at the Sounds baseball game and seeing Sister Larsen and Wendy!

 Serving with one of my favorite companions.. again!

Passing signs for my favorite American town! (I have yet to go there but I've seen signs!)

I know that God is aware of me.  He is so aware of each of us.  He knows our needs, our wants, our likes and our dislikes.  He wants us to be happy, and provides many opportunities for us to be so.  It is up to us to recognize those tender mercies he gives us.

What are some tender mercies God has given you lately?

2 comments:

  1. So many tender mercies I can't count them all. The ones you listed made me smile. I also love rain, lightning, green hills and trees. Wonderful kids and grandkids are the best tender mercies of all. This blog is a tender mercy! Love you Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy dear... You are amazing! I love your spiritual thought and updates, they are perfect! I know you are an amazing missionary and are blessing more lives than you will ever know. Happy birthday! Have a great one and don't forget how many people love and adore you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...